Friday, May 30, 2014

Tunnel Work

This week I spent most of my time gluing track and new roadbed down. I also focused on building up some of the base scenery around the first tunnel. 

Three 18 volt batteries act as weights on the track while the glue dries.  This is module #3 as the highline heads up the grade.


Module #4 track risers are in the process of being glued into place and roadbed I have begun laying roadbed. 


The base of the first tunnel is complete, sort of.  The top pieces are not glued in place yet, since I will need complete the inside of the tunnel. I use wood glue and 3" sheet rock screws to build up the pink foam sections.  I find that the wood glue gives a strong bond and is fairly inexpensive.  The screws are have a course thread and help hold the pieces tightly together. Most of the screws stay in the foam, but some will be pulled as I start carving the foam.  I will paint the inside of the tunnel dark grey or black and will probably ballast the track all the way through since its a short tunnel.  Once I complete those tasks, I can close up the tunnel permanently.  


Here is the view from the downhill side of the tunnel.  


The mountain looks pretty square and 'blocky' right now, but after some carving, painting, rock casts, turf and trees, it will look pretty good.  Stay tuned and watch the transformation.  


Here is a view of module #1 from inside the layout.  Brandon, my son, has been busy playing around with building layouts that fit nicely.  This is the look we like the most so far.  The train station will have platforms extending left and right from the main building. The main street buildings are pretty much where they will be placed.  The building on the far side of the tracks is The Toy Factory, where I work in 'real' life.  It sits on the front of the layout because it will have a full lighted interior.  

No comments:

Post a Comment