Friday, May 2, 2014

Twin Lakes & Western Model Railroad - Reincarnated

I am back into model railroading and building a new layout.  I've built many layouts over the years, but for some reason, Twin Lakes & Western has been my recycled name for the last three.  The first was a 16x16 foot modular layout that I built soon after my son was born.  I think he was about 1 year and  6 months old when we ran our first train around the layout.

Then, in 2009, we moved to Italy.  I had become a bit tired of model railroading, so it was a welcome break.  I kept my layout stored inside the trailer I used to haul it around.  When we returned, I decided to sell off the modules and build a home layout.  I was given permission, by my family, to build a layout in the 'guest' room.  I began work within weeks of returning to the States.  This would become the new Twin Lakes & Western Railroad.  Well, that only lasted less than a year before I decided I didn't like it and tore it down.  Not only did I tear it down, but I sold almost everything I had:  scenery, buildings, details, etc.  The only thing I kept were the trains.

I was able to keep the room, which is now my room for creating mosaics (a different blog) and for whatever else I wanted to do.

This past winter I began to think about model trains again.  Then, in January I decided to see if my son Brandon was interested in visiting the Corvallis Society of Model Engineers.  I had been a part of that club for almost 10 years, two of which I served as president.  Well, we visited and ended up paying 6 months of dues to renew our membership.

After a month or two of running our trains at the club, we decided we would enjoy going to model train shows again, so we began building a new modular layout.

So, here I am blogging about the building of our new layout.  I hope you will find it interesting.  We are trying some new construction methods, so it will be interesting to us as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment