Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Streets and Roads Part 2

In part 1 I talked about the materials I use to create roads on my layout.  I'd like to continue this subject with a it more information.



On the module above, my road climbs 4" to a higher level of the town.  This is a complex module with tunnels for track and for the road, as well as incline for the road.  All of this must be completed before I seal up the hillside.  
I used Woodland Scenics 4% grade foam risers for the base of the road, the cut and glued balsa wood for the road surface. 


I painted the road too early.  I should have waited, but I wanted to verify the color.  Anyway, the next step was to install a metal guide wire I each lane of the road.  This wire will allow me to run a Faller Car System at a later point.  The Faller system is used to animate the cars on the layout, allowing them to drive, stop, turn, etc.  I will write more about this later.  For now, I marked out the center of each lane, used a Xacto knife to cut a groove in the road, then inserted the guide wire.  I used super glue to hold the wire in place, then filled the gap with wood putty.  Once it dried, it was sanded and the road was painted.  


I have to make sure the guide wire is installed correctly.  Once I close up the hill, it will be difficult to access.  

No comments:

Post a Comment